Saturday, June 25, 2011

More Ball

Greg is playing in a T-ball league now too, and he is very happy about that. Here he is up to bat:
And here is Doug up to bat at today's game. Since this blog is intended to document interesting moments in our lives, I have to include this story. Earlier this week Doug had a game that started at 8PM. It was a rainy/stormy evening, and when I heard thunder around 7:15P, I figured that the game would be cancelled. However, they make every attempt to play the game unless it is thundering/lightning and/or pouring down rain during the game, so we packed everything up and headed to the field. At 8PM it was just a light rain, and appeared to be clearing up so Coach Todd, Coach Jared and others started pushing water off the field and getting it ready to go. By 9:15P the field was ready. So, let's play ball! Now, under normal circumstances that would be a late night for us, but this was even worse because not only were the boys going to be tired, but this was a big week for me because I was volunteering at a free lunch program and I needed all the sleep I could get. But, the game started, and we joked about it being late (and it being past my bedtime) and Greg was having fun staying up late and eating lots of snacks. And it turned out to be a very close game with the lead going back and forth or with the score being tied. At one point I made a joke about "extra innings". So we get to the 6th inning (we only play 6 innings). We were home team so the visitors score 2 in the top of the 6 and are up by 2. So we're up to bat. We get runners on 1st and 2nd. No outs. Then runners on first and third with one out. Next batter brings in a run - now runners on first and second, 1 out. Next batter up - loads the bases. Still one out. Then a dribbler in front of home plate. Our guy beats the throw and tag at home - Todd was cheering for him so hard because he ran with all he had (remember, it's like 11PM now). Tied ball game. Next batter strikes out. And guess who comes up to bat with bases loaded, 2 outs, tied ball game. DOUG! (And oh, no - remember my bad joke about extra innings!) I have never cared so much about a play in my life. Plus, Doug was not having a good game to this point - he had struck out and grounded to first his other at bats. And of course, to add to the suspense, he swings and misses on the first pitch. Then fouls one off. And then....he hits it! He grounds it to the pitcher's right, who picks it up, but our runner on third is already past him and scores! Game OVER! We won! Whew! And then we all went home and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment